- Castle Creations
- Castle MAMBA XLX2, 8S, 33.6V ESC, 20A PEAK BEC
Castle MAMBA XLX2, 8S, 33.6V ESC, 20A PEAK BEC
MAMBA XLX2, 8S, 33.6V ESC, 20A PEAK BEC
INTRODUCING THE MAMBA XLX2, AN ESC THAT WILL REDEFINE THE LIMITS OF 1/5TH SCALE R/C!
Engineered from the ground up, the Mamba XLX2 is packed with a potent combination of hardware and software advancements, sensored performance, CRYO-DRIVE™ and waterproof design that will set a new standard for high performance power systems. The Mamba XL family is well known for its extreme performance capabilities. The XLX2 pays homage to the legacy of its predecessors and exceeds their performance on all levels.
CRYO-DRIVE™, Castle’s proprietary breakthrough technology integrates unique software and dedicated hardware to reduce heat and dramatically increase performance. Thousands of times per second, the XLX2 software minimizes the amount of time the electrical components spend generating heat. These software advancements work in parallel with an open housing design which enables increased directional airflow to cool critical components. With the combination of a new 50mm fan and forged elliptical fin heatsink, the XLX2 maximizes airflow throughout the system, taking thermal performance to a whole new level. The results are more power handling, cooler ESC temperatures and longer runtimes and for ultra-high performance.
You can easily optimize the ESC for any driving condition, from rugged terrain to smooth pavement to the perils of rock and gravel. Create, save and download setup profiles through the Castle Link Programming Suite on your Windows™ PC, or wirelessly with the convenience of the new B-Link™ Bluetooth™ Adapter and Castle Link app for Android or iOS.
Additional tuning flexibility awaits you with on-the-fly adjustments from your transmitter via the Auxiliary wire. Simply connect the white signal wire to an open radio channel, and enable the feature in Castle Link by selecting what Auxiliary function you would like to use. Access programming parameters such as Torque Control, Max Brake or Max Throttle.
Sensored 1/5th scale is here! Pairing the Mamba XLX2 with the Castle 4-POLE 12-SLOT SENSORED 2028-800KV or the 2028-1100KV will allow heavy, high speed rigs to experience controllable low-end ranges without sacrificing power, punch or speed. SmartSense™ mode uses the motor’s sensors to start the motor to provide smooth starts, excellent torque, and low-speed drivability. Once the motor is spinning, it seamlessly transitions to Castle’s ultra-efficient sensorless mode. You’ll put more power to the ground, where it should be, instead of wasting it through raw heat and RPMs.
MAMBA XLX 2 FEATURES:
- Input Voltage Range 3S-8S LiPo (33.6v max)
- Sensorless, SmartSense™ and Brushed Running Modes
- Powerful Integrated 20A Peak Adjustable BEC (5.25V-8.0V)
- CRYO-DRIVE™ Technology minimizes the amount of time the ESC’s electrical components spend generating heat, resulting in improved thermal performance during partial throttle operation where the majority of driving occurs
- ESC is housed in a rugged CNC aluminum case and potted in waterproof epoxy to protect the electronics and promote efficient heat transfer
- Premium forged heatsink with elliptical fins for superior air flow and increased heat dissipation
- Oversized factory equipped thermally controlled 50MM cooling fan
- Compatible with S.BUS2 Telemetry Link and Futaba T4PX, T7PX and T7PXR transmitters
- Mounting holes located in bottom of aluminum case for affixing to your vehicle
- Waterproof design for all weather conditions
- Data logging capability to capture and record performance data from your vehicle
- Auxiliary wire functionality for "on-the-fly" adjustments using your transmitter
- Audible alerts for easy diagnosis of common issues such as motor-over-temperature and low-voltage cutoff
- Convenient transmitter programming for six common adjustable settings including cutoff voltage and drag brake
- Easily tune and update ESC with USB and Bluetooth™ programming options
- Castle Link USB programming kit (coupon included with purchase)
- Optional smartphone-based programming with the B-LINK™ Bluetooth Adapter (sold separately and Castle Link all available on Google Play or Apple App Store)
- Proudly designed and manufactured in Olathe, KS USA and backed by Castle Creations' 1-year warranty
MAMBA XLX2 ESC COMES WITH:
- Mamba XLX2 ESC
- 300mm Direct Connect Sensor Wire
- Mamba Decals
- Coupon for free Castle Link USB
- Motor connection wire, bullets and shrink
- Mamba XLX2 Quick Start Guide
- Sensor port dust cover
Product Use Statements
- Individual transmitter signals for neutral, full throttle, and full brake vary. You must calibrate your Castle ESC so that it will operate effectively with your transmitter.
- Anytime the ESC is powered up with a new transmitter or with different throttle channel settings, it will need to be calibrated to the transmitter’s throttle settings.
- The ESC may also need to be calibrated after updating to new software via Castle Link.
- Applying voltages higher than 33.6V will cause irreparable damage to your Mamba XLX2 controller.
- DO NOT RUN HV CELLS (above 4.2v/cell) WHEN RUNNING AT MAX CELL COUNT (8s). This will exceed the 33.6v rating and will damage the ESC and not be covered by the warranty.
Battery Capacity Minimum:
- The Mamba XLX2 is a high-performance controller; you must use high-discharge cells in your high-performance application to ensure vehicle performance.
- MINIMUM battery capacity is 5000mAh and MINIMUM of 50C continuous discharge for general use
- For extreme setups (speed/drag) we recommend a MINIMUM of 70C continuous discharge LiPo batteries.We have tested and recommend these brands for extreme setups: SMC True Spec Extreme V2 150C 6400mah, China Hobby™ CNHL GPLUS 6000mah (white), Power Hobby Pro Lipo 100C 6000mah and Turnigy Graphene Panther™ 75C
- If the batteries you are using contain input bullets you might consider upgrading to a direct wired pack as the bullets may not be able to handle the currents that the Mamba XLX2 ESC can push out.
- If you must disable low voltage cutoff to prevent the ESC from shutting down then your batteries are insufficient for your application. 3.2v/cell is the lowest a LiPo battery should ever be discharged under load. Utilize the data logging capability of the ESC to verify your batteries are not dropping below the cutoff voltage. Exceeding a LiPo batteries capabilities can lead to a catastrophic failure of the battery and/or ESC.
Wiring and Soldering:
- High strand count silicone coated copper wire is essential with higher power electric power systems. Castle Creations' wire is lower resistance than the same diameter of solid copper, meaning more power gets from the batteries to the motor with less wasted as heat.
- The ultra-high strand count and silicone coating means the wire is very flexible which prevents work hardening and breakage with use.
- Use a high quality soldering station. Soldering stations usually have a variable temperature control which lets you set the right amount of heat to be used. Too little heat will result in a cold solder joint; too much heat can seriously damage a component. The key factors in quality soldering are time and temperature. Our recommendation for the Mamba XLX2 is a temperature setting of 400° C (745° F). You want it hot and as short a time as possible. We use 250W soldering irons.
- Use a high quality rosin core solder. The rosin core solder is infused with flux which helps clean the surfaces you are soldering for better adhesion.
- Do not exceed more than 18 inches of total wire between the battery and ESC (this includes the wire already on the ESC and battery).
- Do not solder wires directly to the circuit board. Doing so will damage the ESC and void the warranty.
- Our wire is available for purchase and this link provides the appropriate wire gauge for your Castle ESC. http://www.castlecreations.com/wire-application-chart
.Connector Ratings Minimum:
- The Mamba XLX2 requires the use of connectors designed for 150+ amps continuous. We have tested and recommend Castle 6.5mm Polarized, Castle 8mm Bullet, QS8 Anti Spark and QS10 Anti Spark
- Do not use Deans, Traxxas, EC3/XT60, EC5/IC5, XT90/XT90s connectors in a MambaXLX2 setup
- The Mamba XLX2 is capable of handling incredible amounts of power, your motor must also be up for the task. Always run your motor within the manufacturer’s specs. Monitor motor, battery, and controller temps carefully and never let the motor get above 200° F.
- Excessive heat in the motor can damage the motor, the Mamba XLX2, and your batteries.
- It is strongly recommended to not use the “Sensored Only” motor type option. The default “Smart Sense™” modes uses the sensors (if applicable motor is used) to start the motor smoothly. Once the motor is running the ESC stops using the sensors and reverts to sensorless operation. Note: "Sensor Only" has been removed from the ESC and is no longer an option as it served no purpose without the CHEAT mode.
- Sensorless mode is more efficient resulting in cooler temperatures and potentially higher motor performance. Forcing the ESC to run in sensored mode the entire time will result in reduced performance and higher than normal temperature; this can lead to unnecessary strain on the ESC, motor and batteries. There is no standard RC application in which sensored only mode is recommended.
- When you are tuning a car expect some modifications in gearing to get it exactly where you want it. The goal here is to not overheat the motor.
- Check your motor temps – never let the motor get above 200° F - invest in an infrared thermometer so you can monitor temps easily.
- You can also adjust MOTOR TEMPERATURE CUTOFF (with Sensored Motors Only) in Castle Link. When this setting is enabled, the controller will shut off if the motor reaches the specified temperature as indicated by its internal temperature sensor.
- We always recommend making small changes when gearing up.
Castle Link Settings:
- During the optimization of your setup it is critical to check motor and ESC temperatures after making adjustment.
- The heat limit threshold for Mamba XLX2 ESC is 200° F and Castle motors is 200° F.
- We recommend the use of the data log as you progress with the feel and power of the vehicle. You will be able to record real-time data such as motor RPM, battery current and voltage, ESC and motor temperature, throttle input, and more.
- Download and analyze the collected data via Castle Link and make adjustments to maximize both performance and battery life.
- Furthermore, we do not recommend using the same Castle Link settings from a previously installed Mamba XLX version. Start from scratch. This is how you learn your car and what it can actually handle.
- The AUX wire allows you to adjust a setting “on-the-fly” using an auxiliary channel on your receiver.
- The AUX wire function is disabled by default and is programmable via Castle Link. Plug this wire into the auxiliary (#3/#4) channel on your receiver.
- You MUST connect the AUX wire to an open channel on your receiver even if you are not using the Auxiliary function.
- You MUST disconnect the AUX wire from your radio before connecting to Castle Link. Failure to do so may result in damage to your Castle Link and/or computer.
- Although Mamba XLX2 is waterproof, it is not intended for operation while completely submerged in liquid.
- Always rinse the ESC and motor with clean water after exposure to corrosives or dirt.
- While the motor and controller may be waterproof, we suggest users confirm that the rest of their vehicle, including the batteries, servos, radio and chassis are also waterproof before exposing them to liquids of any kind.
- **The cooling fan must be removed prior to driving in wet conditions. It is not waterproof.
Technical SpecsApplication Guidelines:
1:5th Scale vehicles weighing up to 42 lbs.
Vehicle Examples: Losi DB XL-E™, Losi Super Rock Rey™, Arrma Kraton 8s™, Arrma Outcast 8s™, Traxxas X-Maxx™. Note: Some vehicles may require aftermarket parts to allow ESC and/or motor fitment.
Input Voltage Range:
MIN: 3S LiPo, MAX: 8S LiPo 33.6V
Sensorless, Brushed and SmartSense™ when paired with a Castle 4-POLE 12-SLOT Sensored Motor.
Brake:ProportionalReversible:Yes, but may be disabled for racing.On/Off Switch:Yes, waterproof
Cooling Fan:Yes, factory equipped (50mm), fully removable** (See Product Use Statements)
Size:Length: 3.98” (101.2mm), Width: 2.49” (63.3mm), Height: 2.2” (55.8mm)
Weight (with wires):13.1 oz (371g)
8mm female bullets
Items Needed for Operation:The Mamba XLX2 requires the use of connectors designed for 150+ amps continuous, such as Castle 6.5mm polarized or CC BULLET 8.0MM, QS8 8mm Anti Spark or QS10 10mm Anti Spark
Waterproof design for all weather conditions (See Operating Environment Considerations)
Fully programmable Castle feature set using Castle Link USB adapter (coupon for free link included in package) and freely downloadable Castle Link Windows software, or the Castle Link App and a B-LINK Bluetooth Adapter (sold separately).
Telemetry Link Capable:
Yes, with Castle Creations Telemetry Link for S.BUS2 and Futaba T4PX, T7PX and T7PXR Transmitters.
The Mamba XLX2 has threaded mounting holes on the bottom of the ESC. There are four M3 mounting holes with a maximum depth of 5mm; they are spaced 46mm wide and 40.2mm long. Use this template for assistance in alignment and screw hole positioning.